Thursday 31 January 2013

Weezer - 17 January 2013, The Palais


Night two of Weezer’s Melbourne stay aka the night the Palais bitch slapped Sidney Myer Music Bowl by showing it what a real venue sounds like. Pretty much everything about this night was better than the first. Obviously the sound was better, but the crowd were enthusiastic but not obnoxious and the band seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot more. The greatest hits set gets turned into a hits and rarities set, but even as someone who isn’t a big fan the first part of the show was really enjoyable (and throwing in a few rarities meant that this part of the show wasn’t too predictable). The Pinkerton portion of the show is what it is, fans of the album will love it but those that don’t won’t. Finally, the show was topped off with an unexpected, and unplanned, encore of Island in the Sun.

The sound quality of this recording is really good. A super fan a few rows back can be heard singing along and yelling out, but I think this captures the excitement of the crowd (which seemed to have more than the expected number of hardcore fans), rather than being annoying. If I was being critical I’d say that the sound isn’t as full as I’d like, but that’s hard to achieve with an audience recording.

Memories
Put Me Back Together
The Angel and the One
The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn)
We Are All on Drugs
Keep Fishin’
Don’t Let Go
You Gave Your Love to Me Softly
Susanne
Buddy Holly

Tired of Sex
Getchoo
No Other One
Why Bother?
Across the Sea
The Good Life
El Scorcho
Pink Triangle
Falling for You
Butterfly

Island in the Sun

http://www.mediafire.com/?4365p12b4y4sn

Update: According to an email I just got the track Tired of Sex violates Mediafires terms and conditions and has been removed and I've got a 'strike'. I suspect that in fact Mediafire is a complete ass and is simply getting upset because of the word sex. I know some nine year olds who'd think thats a bit childish. Anyway, I could simply put it up again but I suspect the same thing would happen. Instead, I'm going to see if there is some way of challenging the strike and removal of the track. If they continue to act like idiots I'll use it as an opportunity to find someone else to host this show and perhaps others in future.

Update 2: I've reuploaded the track with a different title. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment